Create your own character for Young Deaffest 2019
For the first time ever, the UK’s leading Deaf-led Film & Arts Festival Deaffest is looking for a new character to feature in Young Deaffest 2019.
Do you know a deaf kid with a great imagination, who loves telling stories? Could they create an amazing character to feature on the posters for Young Deaffest 2019? Enter and be in with the chance of winning a prize!
Deaffest has teamed up with Artists & Illustrators, the UK’s leading art magazine offering expert advice and inspiration for amateur and semi-professional artists, to launch an exciting art competition for UK-based young deaf people aged 11 – 16 years.
Launched in 2007, Young Deaffest is an integral part of the festival, offering an exciting programme of films, performances and workshops where young deaf people get involved, engaging in the films and arts, as well as being inspired by role models. Young Deaffest 2019 will take place at Light House Media Centre in Wolverhampton on Saturday 18th May 2019.
The winner of the competition will be announced prior to the festival and will see their character featured both on Deaffest and Artists & Illustrators’ website and social media. The winning character will be featured on the big screen during Young Deaffest 2019, on the official Young Deaffest 2019’s posters displayed throughout Deaffest (17th – 19th May 2019) and in the Deaffest programme. The prize also includes a certificate and voucher worth £50, which will be presented by a surprise guest!
Runners-up will be announced at Young Deaffest 2019 on Saturday 18th May 2019 and will see their character featured on both Deaffest and Artists & Illustrators’ websites and social media, and will also receive a certificate.
How to enter:
- The competition is open to young deaf people aged 11-16 years, who are based in the UK.
- You must only create one character and also must create a background scene (i.e. forest, beach, buildings etc).
- Character to be created on A4 paper in a portrait format.
- Give a name to the character and share the story behind this character.
- The acceptable media are 2D mediums such as painting, pencil, pastels, inks and mixed media (no photographic, digital or 3D pieces of work).
- Entries must be submitted as hard copy/ original work.
- Parents/guardians are required to fill in a parental consent form (download here). Entries without parental consent will not be accepted.
The competition closes at 11.59pm on Tuesday 5th February 2019.
If you have any queries contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.